The Unique Identification Authority
Dairy business enterprise scheme
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Sukanya Samriddhi Account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (Girl child prosperity scheme), is a deposit account launched on 22nd January 2015 by India’s Prime Minster with an aim of improving female children’s welfare in India.
Reinforcing the idea of saving every female child in India, Narendra Modi (Prime Minister of India) has launched ‘Sukanya Samriddhi Account scheme’. It is a savings scheme forming a part of the campaign of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’. It is even considered as a part of the initiative taken by the government to increase domestic savings’ percentage, which has been reduced to 30% of the GDP in 2013 from 38% in 2008. The scheme will help in encouraging the parents to save for the future as well as the education of a girl child.
- People can open the Sukanya Samriddhi account at designated branches of bank or at Post office.
- The account can be opened by the parents of a girl child on only her name.
- The age of the girl for whom the account is being opened should be less than 10 years.
- Government, for this current financial year has declared an interest rate of 9.2% on this scheme.
- Under section 80C, investments made in this scheme will give benefits of tax.
- Under this scheme, the minimum deposit to be made is 1000 Rs. and 1.5 lakhs/ annum is the maximum limit.
- For a period of 14 years, money should be deposited in the account.
- From the date since the account is opened, the maturity stands for 21 years.
- For the higher study of the girl child, 50% cash withdrawals can be made after the age of 18 years.
How to Open SSY Account
Guardian to open the account: Only legal guardians or parents can open the account for maximum 2 girl children. In the cases of triplets or twins, an exemption would be made on providing a certificate from an authorized medical institute.
Age Eligibility: The account of Sukanya Samriddhi can be opened by the parents of girl child who is below 10 years of age. From 2nd December 2014, this scheme has started. For convenience, 1 year’s initial grace period has also been announced. A female child, who was born in between the p